While I absolutely love WordPress, there are definitely things I hate about it. One of those things is issues that crop up when themes and plugins are upgraded. Often, upgrades don’t go as planned, and one of the results is the White Screen of Death. Argh. That happened to me recently, and of course the site in question did not have any backups present. :/
If you find that this happens to you, the best course of action is to revert to the previous theme or plugin. Of course, you’ll need to make sure to have previous copies available in order to do that!
I have had the privilege of attending two blogging conferences: BlogHer and Type-A Mom. Both conferences were huge and overwhelming, BlogHer definitely more so given first its location (New York City, NY!) and second just its sheer size. The Hilton hotel was entirely taken over by thousands of mommy bloggers and their husbands, boyfriends, wives, girlfriends, partners, friends, and kids.
One big thing about these blogging conferences and others is the crazy amounts of swag that companies and sponsors quite happily give away. You can find everything from tote bags to frisbees to t-shirts to flash drives to whistles to customized magnets, bumper stickers and key chains. Granted, most of these items are promotional products, but despite the glaring logos and and such, some of the items are pretty damn awesome, and I’ve not only used them for myself, but I’ve also given them to family members and friends.
Tip: take oversized tote bags with reinforced handles! You’ll need heavy-duty tote bags in order to hold all of the goodies you’ll be dragging home with you.
Wednesday Wishes: 3 Wishes
1. I could really go with an extra $500.00 in our bank account. Actually, I could go for $5,000.00, but I’ll take what I can get! Heck, with it being in between paychecks like it is, even an extra $100.00 would be nice.
2. A full night’s sleep without the need for sleeping pills. Lately I have been relying on OTC sleeping pills to help me get to sleep at night. :/
3. One day of no work whatsoever. Sadly, I don’t think this will ever happen…
Keeping a house that contains two adults, two children, four cats, one dog, two hamsters, and several fish, hermit crabs and water frogs clean and organized all of the time isn’t easy, but I do my best. Here are a few tips that I use with my daily routine:
1. Do today what can be skipped tomorrow: I do cleaning and straightening up prior to going to bed, so I don’t have to worry about doing it the next morning.
2. Do laundry regularly: Unlike my mother, who will allow laundry to sit around for weeks, literally, I do laundry every 2-3 days. The longest I’ll go without doing a load of laundry is four days or so; the most I’ve ever had to do at once was eight loads, and that included sheets and blankets from three beds, and towels from our bathroom.
3. Make a daily routine/chore chart: invite kids to help out, so they get into the groove.
4. Don’t slack! This by far is the most important rule.
I hate character/licensed clothing.
And by character/licensed clothing, I mean babies’ and kids’ clothes that has licensed cartoons on them. Think Bugs Bunny, Rugrats, Spongebob, Elmo, etc. I think that kind of clothing is garish and more than a little obnoxious. And it’s for that reason that my kids have never owned ANY of that clothing, nor worn any. Ever.